Huntington's Disease Association of Ireland uses cookies to give you the best experience on our websites. By using this site you agree to our use of cookies as described in this Privacy Policy. Click here to remove this message.

Services & Supports

Health Services

Your Local Health Office is your entry point to community health and personal social services. Services provided through Local Health Offices and from Health Centres include: general practitioner (GP) services, public health nursing (PHN), community welfare, speech therapy, social work, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, chiropody, psychiatric services and home help. See: All Health Services -


It is important to talk to your GP about any changes to your health or any worries you may have relating to the onset of symptoms. If you have a diagnosis of HD your GP can help you manage symptoms and can make referrals to other specialists such as physiotherapists and dieticians. If you are at risk of HD and believe that you are experiencing symptoms but do not have a diagnosis your GP can refer you to a neurologist to carry out a diagnostic test.


A neurologist provides medical care for people with neurological illnesses (those affecting the brain, spinal cord and nerves) at hospital based clinics. A neurologist will assess your symptoms and talk to you about ways to manage and treat them including both medication and support from other professionals.

Public health nurses

Public health nurses (PHNs) provide a range of health care services in the community. They provide advice and assistance in accessing other care services. You may be referred to your local PHN by your family doctor (GP), or you may contact the service yourself through your local health centre or Local Health Office. Info at : Health (


Your dietician will assess your nutritional needs and give advice. Many individuals with HD require a high calorie intake to maintain their body weight. Dieticians can offer help and advice on getting an adequate and nourishing diet. You can be referred to a dietician by your GP, PHN or through a neurology clinic.


Your physiotherapist will support you to keep as active as possible to maintain muscle strength and minimise potential problems of falling. You can ask your GP, PHN or Neurologist to refer you to a physio.

Occupational therapists

Occupational therapists (OTs) can advise on equipment or alterations to your home that may help you carry out normal everyday activities and do the things that matter to you. This might include specialist seating and eating aids, for example. You can ask your GP or PHN to refer you to an OT.

Speech and language therapists (SLT)

Speech and language therapists help people who have difficulties with communicating, eating, drinking or swallowing. You can ask your GP or PHN to refer you to an SLT


A neuropsychologist can help with the cognitive and behavioural changes associated with Huntington’s disease. You can ask your GP or neurologist for a referral.


A neuropsychiatrist can help with changes to mental health and wellbeing caused by  Huntington’s disease. They will look at symptom management, including the possibility of medication and lifestyle adaptations.

Mental Health Services

Mental health services can include support from community mental health nurses, counsellors, psychiatrists and psychologists. They provide people with opportunities to talk through difficulties relating to mood and emotional wellbeing and help find ways of coping better. You can ask your GP to refer you to a mental health professional.


It is very important to keep up good dental hygiene. Your dentist can talk to you about how best to care for your teeth and offer guidance on toothbrushes and toothpastes. If you have any problems with swallowing or sudden movements it is important to let your dentist know and ask them to adapt the work they do for your safety and comfort.


There are medications available that can help with some Huntington’s symptoms, such as involuntary movements and anxiety or changes in mood. Different people respond to different medicines, so ask your GP, neurologist or psychiatrist for advice.

Complementary therapists

Individuals with Huntington’s and their carers may benefit from using complementary therapies such as aromatherapy and massage. These can help with relaxation, stress management and relieving muscle ache and tension. It is usually necessary to pay for these types of therapies.

Huntington's Research

Check out our Research section to find out about observational studies you can participate in. There is also links to relevant Huntington's Research websites  where you can receive updates on global HD research .

Support Services

HDAI Services

See HDAI services here.


The Department of  Social Protection provides up to date info on the supports and services they provide including Illness Benefit, Disability Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit, Carer’s Support Grant etc. HDAI's Financial Wellbeing Officer has created an overview of entitlements and can provide further information and assistance.

See also :  and Citizens Information /Social Welfare


The HSE provides information on carer supports. If you are caring for a person with a disability you can find information on supports at:

Citizens Information

Citizens Information provides information, advice and advocacy on health and social services online and at local Citizen Information Centres:  Citizens Information

National Advocacy Service

The National Advocacy Service provides an independent, confidential and free, representative advocacy service for People with Disabilities. Contact details: National Telephone Number: 0818 07 3000, Email: National Advocacy Service for People with Disabilities

Sage Advocacy 

Sage Advocacy is a support and advocacy service for vulnerable adults, older people and healthcare patients Sage Advocacy | Support for vulnerable adults

Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS)

The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) is a free and confidential service for people with debt and money management problems. They have offices throughout the country, website: MABS - Money Advice and Budgeting Service

Tax relief

Tax relief for drivers and passengers with disabilities. There are a range of tax reliefs linked to
the purchase and use of vehicles by drivers and passengers with disabilities

Family Carers Ireland

Family Carers Ireland provides supports to family carers throughout Ireland. Careline 1800 240724

Bereavement Supports

The Irish Hospice Foundation operate a Bereavement Support Line 1800 80 70 77 Monday-Friday 10am-1pm and have bereavement resources available on their website